Hi, I'm Brenda. I love CSS, e-commerce, beautiful and thoughtful design, making soap from scratch, and dancing to good and bad pop music.
I've been making websites since the early days of Geocities and professionally for the past decade in a variety of development and design roles, often solely on one side or the other. With this unique perspective and experience, I've found success in companies large and small as a bridge between these two worlds. I advocate for collaboration in cross-functional team environments where design & development work together. My current role is as a Senior Software Engineer full-time with Context Travel.
As an award winning conference speaker, I have been around the world presenting talks on my greatest love, CSS. I've also been an active member of the NYC tech community by teaching with Girl Develop It, and helping to organize local front-end meetups like CSS Layout Club and ManhattanJS.
As a web design and developer consultant, I've worked for all types of clients in various industries — from small greenfield startups and non-profits, to Fortune 500 companies.
In house Senior Software Engineer on a custom Ruby on Rails e-commerce application for a boutique travel start-up.
Design and front-end development in an Elixir/Phoenix application for a custom e-commerce platform that sells new and used cars online.
UX research, design, and front-end development for a custom luxury handbag e-commerce brand succeeding with the goal to improve conversion and site bounce rate.
Lead Front-End Developer and Designer at a career advice and social networking start-up for millenial women.
I was honored to recieve the award for “Best Conference Presentation” at CSSDevConf 2017, voted on by the conference attendees. I'm currently booking speaking engagements for 2020. Get in touch!
- Beyond Screen Size: Using CSS to Optimise Layout by Device (and more!) — GenerateCSS, September 2019
- You Might Not Need Media Queries: How to Use CSS Grid Today — Asbury Agile, October 2018
- You Might Not Need Media Queries: How to Use CSS Grid Today — PiterCSS, June 2018
- Using CSS Grid in the Real World — CSSConfAU, March 2018
- Using CSS Grid in the Real World — CSSDevConf, October 2017
- Cracking the SVG Code — SVG Summit, January 2016
- Cracking the SVG Code — CSSDevConf, October 2015
- The Laila & Brenda Show (Co-Host)
- Practical CSS Grids — Non Breaking Space Show
- Grid Locked — Tentative.fm
- Intro to SVGs — Ctrl + Click Cast
- SVGs — Non Breaking Space Show
- Purpose Driven Development — Giant Robots Smashing Into Other Giant Robots (Guest Host)
- A Place For Both — Giant Robots Smashing Into Other Giant Robots
- Waiter > Bartender > Lost Soul — Reboot